Monday, April 17, 2006

Good Morning, I hope you had a wonderful Easter. We spent it at Granny's in northern Iowa. Granny is Jim's mom. She is 93 years old and is quite a story. I am waiting for a photo of one of her quilts which now resides in Chicago, so I will tell you about her tomorrow.

I got up and ignored my two hours of practice on machine quilting, something I promised I would do until my stitching gets better. I made a clock instead. They are "quick and dirty" meaning they can be put together in a few hours, even the binding. The fusing methods are ones I learned in a Melody Johnson workshop and from Laura Wasilowski in her book, "Fusing Fun."

I'd seen clocks done before and just had to try my version. My studio needed a clock because once I get down there and a workin', time whips by and I can stitch right through the cocktail hour.

This is the first clock. The quilting design on the back is kinda fun. I quilted the clock before sewing on the back because a piece of cardboard gets inserted between the back and the front.






And this is the one I made today. It just needs the clock workings which are sold at craft stores. The design began by playing with my leftover fused scraps of fabric.



No comments: