My husband, Jim, is a sweet man prone to do unusual things. Not long after I met him, he decided to walk to his mother's house for mother's day to show her his love and appreciation. His mother lives 120 miles away.
He started a week early, put a tent and sleeping bag in a backpack and set out on a rainy day for a little town in Northern Iowa. A few nights he stayed in his tent and a few nights he stayed in hotels. But each morning he put on his hikers and put one foot in front of the other, making more mileage each day until he reached his mothers doorstep. She was happy to see him, of course, but for a while didn't believe that he had walked all that way. The local paper did a nice little story and Granny (everyone calls her Granny) received a rose and wonderful mother's day "I love you"
I mention this story because I think of Jim's walk every time I have a monumental task in front of me. I just remember that everything is accomplished one step at a time, step after step, moment to moment, hour to hour, day to day. All I really have to focus on is that one little next step.
Right now, machine quilting is my weakest skill. I've heard skilled quilters say that it is possible to get good after 180 to 200 hours. I do have some practice under my belt but that still sounds monumental. That is a full week of practice if I don't eat or sleep and sit at the machine 24 hours a day. That doesn't sound very fun. So, I have made it my goal to practice machine quilting each day until I have gained 180 hours more experience. So far I have 12 hours and I started last week. By tomorrow I will have 14. In three months time, if I concentrate while I'm practicing, I should be a proficient machine quilter with 180 hours of practice in my past.
Anybody got a deal on Thread?
Wednesday, April 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment