Sunday, May 27, 2007

This past week has been cool and rainy. It started out just plain cold. But that didn't stop us from enjoying a sunny afternoon. The knitting was good.



So was the fishing



Nature's bounty (and Jim's fishing skills) kept us in trout all week



The garden was also kind to us



Then the rain started. So Keiko and I went camping! This was our second camping trip together and I'm beginning to think I should call our trips the mis-adventures of Linda and Keiko.

We went to the shore of Lake Superior to camp at the Split Rock State Park. Our site was a backpack in site and the park ranger gave us the wrong site and marked yet another site on the map. A little extra schlepping of our gear and we finally settled in our home for the night. Our camp was just in from the point in the center of the frame. Beautiful and on a secluded bay.



So we set up camp and hiked



to some falls for lunch



We had Sonoma and Stacy with us. Sonoma likes to stay close to Keiko.



All went well until supper time. Distant rumbles started Stacy pacing. She's a Norwegian elkhound and doesn't like storms. So we headed for camp and put Stacy in the tent where Keiko gave her some doggie valium. We joined her a bit later as the rain started. The lightening and thunder and rain came for three hours. Stacy shook uncontrollably until the valium kicked in. The lovely dinner of Thai peanut sauce over noodles with spinach leaves went uncooked while we ate peanuts, craisins and a Cliff bar. Tent leakages were minor and the garbage bags helped keep the little moisture off our sleeping bags.

Some time I'll have to share our first misadventure where we wandered about in a magical swamp for a day. . . . . but now I have to go quilt. I visited Janet Steadman's website and I'm inspired to finish my current quilt so I can get on with starting another.

No comments: